Australian farmers to sue NSW government

A group of six farmers are preparing to take legal action against the NSW government over a bushfire in northern NSW that could have been prevented.

Graziers hit by a blaze at Guy Fawkes National Park, west of Coffs Harbour, argue it could have been prevented with more hazard reduction strategies.

[…Continued]

4 comments
Vulnerable farmers are striking back. Photo: AGE

FARMERS FIGHT BACK

Farmers hit by a massive fire in northern NSW late last year want national parks to let them graze cattle and conduct burnoffs to protect themselves from future bushfires.

The fire smashed their properties, while hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stock and fencing was lost to the enormous blaze that started last August in the Guy Fawkes National Park.

In a new class action set to be filed against the NSW government, farmers are looking to win back the right to graze cattle and conduct burn-offs themselves through the parks. They also say firefighting crews didn’t station a truck to watch the blaze as it burned overnight.

Peter Jackson, the lawyer representing the farmers, said compensation was “only the start” of what the farmers were seeking, stating the group’s primary goal is to force the Department of Parks and Wildlife to the negotiating table:

“One of the things they have raised with me consistently is that in the past, grazers were permitted to have their cattle on national parkland. My clients recognise the value of the national parks and biodiversity.

They want change in how national parks are managed, to ensure fires like this don’t occur again. They want more communication between local land holders and the national parks.”

Interestingly, when speaking with reporters, Peter mentioned that the farmers believed the fire could have been stopped in three instances during the bushfire season:

My clients were told the fire had been extinguished. In the late afternoon the National Park firefighters simply went home. During the night, they told clients a log had rolled down the hill, and the fire had started up again.”

The farmers also say staff refused to listen to their advice while fighting the blaze, and with the benefit of better local knowledge, it could have been choked out and contained by a combination of backburning and water saturation into a gully.

Tony Brazier, a farmer from Guyra (three hours west of Coffs Harbour), is also planning a first class action after this bushfire season, as a wave of resistance begins to form in the face of an establishment that has abandoned some of our most vulnerable Australians.

THE STORY SO FAR

In the aftermath of the Australian bushfire ‘crisis’, citizens in regional locations have subsequently become victims of a subversive land grab, driven by an agenda for ‘sustainability’ and control.

This has intentionally created harsh conditions for many survivors of the bushfires, including insurance and financial assistance backflips, rebuilding regulations and government buybacks, continued depletion of resources and much more.

Recently, bushfire affected businesses across Australia are still waiting for applications to open or be approved for recovery loans unveiled by the federal government last month.

Almost 300 bushfire hit businesses have applied for government loans since the scheme has opened, yet just one application has been approved so far.

More than 230 applications have been lodged in New South Wales since February 3, with another 60 submitted in South Australia and Victoria just beginning. So far, only one loan has been approved.

Furthermore, hundreds of millions of dollars has been donated from across the world to Australian bushfire victims, but those impacted are still yet to see any of the funds.

The $50 million campaign raised by Celeste Barber is set to face ongoing ‘legal hurdles’, while Australian charities have announced they will be keeping most of the funds for themselves.

While many across the country remain in a state of disbelief over the behaviour of charities during this time, as we have explored, the real agenda behind these destabilizing actions is intentional.

The Agenda 2030 plan is now well underway in Australia, and many victims who desperately need financial support to rebuild their lives will be forced to keep managing unbearable conditions — or pack up and become a part of the emerging smart city grid.

Most of them, that is. A small group of farmers will not give up that easily!

LAND MANAGEMENT DRAMA

Originally following the bushfire saga, the House of Representatives Standing Committee on the Environment commenced an inquiry into the widespread disaster. 

The inquiry was set to be aimed at examining the “efficacy of past and current vegetation and land management policy, practice and legislation and their effect on the intensity and frequency of bushfires and subsequent risk to property, life and the environment”.

On launching the inquiry, Chair of the Committee, Mr Ted O’Brien MP, said that many communities across Australia had experienced or were still in the grip of bushfire effects.

However, on 26 February 2020, the committee decided to wind up the inquiry, in order to make way for the National Royal Commission into the bushfires.  

After further delays, the commission is now accepting public submissions on the 2019-20 bushfire season from individuals, community groups and the broader community.

NSW Environment Minister Matt Kean says there needs to be more hazard reduction as part of an inquiry into bushfire management. This is in order to respond to ‘climate change’.

From delays to switches, changed stories to fingers pointed, the government is clearly doing everything in its power to ensure legal actions and inquiries are dragged out as long as possible.

When they do go ahead, how long before recommendations are handed down that suggests victims in fire-stricken communities sell off their land and move away from ‘dangerous’ areas?

Will the inquiry examine additional elements of the bushfire concoction, including the depletion of resources for fire services and ongoing geoengineering programs in Australia?

A spokesman for the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment, which has oversight of National Parks, said: “As this is now a legal matter, it is not appropriate to comment”.

Stay tuned for more information.


RELATED CONTENT

‘We saw this coming for years’: Farmers take legal action after fires | Sydney Morning Herald

Farmers band together to sue government over NSW bushfires | 2GB Radio

Bushfire recovery loans are facing delays | TOTT News

Bushfire donations: Where is the money? | TOTT News

Bushfire Aftermath: The Australian Land Grab | TOTT News



KEEP UP-TO-DATE

For more TOTT News, follow us for exclusive content:

Facebook — Facebook.com/TOTTNews

YouTube — YouTube.com/TOTTNews

Instagram — Instagram.com/TOTTNews

Twitter — Twitter.com/EthanTOTT


4 comments on “Australian farmers to sue NSW government”

  1. Now that’s some welcome good news for a change & some positive developments.

    Of course many more need to rise up & band/join together.

    1. its time for a grass level peoples movement to arise from the ashes of devastation , encrypted and silen, untracked from the AI of social media

  2. my heart goes out to these farmers . the incompetence’s and corruption within the rfs hierarchy is staggering

  3. They are about to Learn,. that Aussies , “DON<T GIVE UP"
    Hard times are in their DNA, Gov, Traitors WILL PAY!

Leave a Reply to pheonixrises Cancel reply